Biography | Filmography
| Awards | Article |
Downloads | Links
| Image Credits
| ALL ABOUT EVE | THE LITTLE FOXES
A transformed Charlotte Vale in NOW, VOYAGER (1942) also starring
Paul Henreid, Claude Rains and
Gladys Cooper. In addition to
nominations in the acting categories for Bette and
Gladys Cooper, NOW, VOYAGER's musical
score by Max Steiner won an
Bette's Oscar nomination for NOW, VOYAGER marked the fifth consecutive year
in which she was so honored, a feat equaled only by
Greer Garson (1941-1945) in Academy Award
"The Untold Want"
by Walt Whitman
(from Leaves of Grass)
untold want, by life and land ne’er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth,
to seek and find.
Bros. Fanfare & Main Title" (clip) by
Max Steiner (a .MP3 file
courtesy RCA Victor).
(For help opening any of the multimedia files, visit the
Still More Memorable Quotations:
- "Well, Monsieur, a person in my position must be content with picking up
a few crumbs of happiness from other people's tables." --as Henriette
Deluzy-Desportes in ALL THIS, AND HEAVEN TOO (1940).
- "Happiness isn't a little cake we can cut up to satisfy our appetite."
--as Henriette Deluzy-Desportes in ALL THIS, AND HEAVEN TOO (1940).
- "There are some things it's useless to fight against, Monsieur, and one
is another woman's jealousy." --as Henriette Deluzy-Desportes in ALL THIS,
AND HEAVEN TOO (1940).
- "You know, there are men who think it's their duty to flirt with women
whenever they have the chance. I believe they think women expect it of
them." --as Leslie Crosby in THE LETTER (1940).
- "With all my heart, I still love the man I killed." --as Leslie Crosby
in THE LETTER (1940).
- "I don't ask for things I don't think I can get." --as Regina Giddens in
THE LITTLE FOXES
- "You sound like a book, and a very cheap one." --as Maggie in THE GREAT
- "The usual thing. 'Do you?' 'I do.' 'Kiss the bride.'
'Have some cake.'" --as Maggie in THE GREAT LIE (1941).
- "But you wouldn't! You couldn't!" --as Maggie in THE GREAT LIE
- "I always know what I'm doing." --as Stanley Timberlake in IN THIS OUR
- "I guess I'm kill or cure." --as Stanley Timberlake in IN THIS OUR LIFE
- "I might even turn out to be a good wife. Imagine me being a good wife."
--as Stanley Timberlake in IN THIS OUR LIFE (1942).
- "Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon... we have the stars." --as
Charlotte Vale in NOW, VOYAGER (1942).
- "I always have the feeling you're laughing at me, and I find that
attractive--besides the fact you're very rich." --as Fanny Trellis in MR.
- "I have never talked to a man for more than five minutes in my life
without wanting to box his ears." --as Miss Lilly Moffat in THE CORN IS
Another Oscar-nominated performance, this time as Margo Channing in
ALL ABOUT EVE (1950)
the character as which Bette delivered her most famous movie line ever...
your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night." --as Margo Channing in
ALL ABOUT EVE (1950) (a .WAV file).
Bette with Anne Baxter,
Marilyn Monroe, and George
during the "bumpy night" and a poster from
ALL ABOUT EVE
the Best Picture of 1950, which also starred Celeste
Holm, Thelma Ritter and Gary Merrill.
Go to the next page.
Page 1 | Page 2
| Page 3 | Page 4