Cast | Crew
| Awards | Articles
| Lyrics | Bibliography
| News |
Downloads | Links | Image Credits
The plot thickens:
As it turns out, Lazlo is a noted Czechoslovakian
resistance leader who has escaped from a concentration camp and is
wanted by the Nazi's, including Major Strasser (Conrad Veidt), their
visiting representative in Casablanca.
Casablanca, in northern Morocco, is Vichy French
territory early in World War II, and nationalist tensions run high among Rick's
French, German, Italian and American customers. Lazlo's presence only aggravates an already tense situation. In
the scene above,
he inspires the band at Rick's to drown out the Germans (who are rigorously
singing "Die Wacht am Rhein") with
Besides the romantic triangle between Rick, Ilsa and
Victor, and the Lazlos' quest to find exit visas to America, there are many subtle subplots you might not catch the first
time you see the film. At right, Rick sheds his tough, cynical exterior for a moment
and helps out the young couple from Bulgaria: "Have you tried 22 tonight?"
More Memorable Quotations:
- "I beg of you, Monsieur, watch yourself. Be on
guard. This place is full of vultures, vultures everywhere,
everywhere." --The Dark European.
- "Oh, there's no hurry. Tonight he'll be at
Rick's. Everybody comes to Rick's." --Renault.
- "What right have I to think?" --Ugarte.
- "I don't mind a parasite. I object to
a cut-rate one." --Rick.
- "Suppose you run your business and let
me run mine." --Rick.
- "How extravagant you are, throwing
away women like that. Someday they may be scarce." --Renault.
- "I stick my neck out for nobody."
- "My dear Ricky, I suspect that under
that cynical shell, you're at heart a sentimentalist." --Renault.
- "There are certain sections of New
York, Major, that I wouldn't advise you to try to invade." --Rick.
- "Are my eyes really brown?"
- "I was informed you were the most
beautiful woman ever to visit Casablanca. That was a gross
- "Play it once, Sam, for old time's sake." ...
it, Sam... Play 'As Time Goes By.'" --Ilsa (a .WAV file).
- "We have a curfew here in Casablanca. It would
never do for the chief of police to be found drinking after hours and have
to fine himself." --Renualt.
- "Sam, if it's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time
is it in New York?" --Rick.
- "Was that cannon fire, or is it my heart
- "Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last
- "Ah, the lady is a friend of Rick's? For friends
of Rick we have a small discount. Did I say 700 francs? You can
have it for 200." --The Arab.
- "Oh, Monsieur, you are a man. If someone loved
you very much, so that your happiness was the only thing that she wanted in
the whole world, but she did a bad thing to make certain of it, could you
forgive her?" --Annina.
- "I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going
on in here!" --Renault.
- "My dear Mademoiselle, perhaps you have already
observed that in Casablanca, human life is cheap. Good night,
- "Go ahead and shoot. You'll be doing me a
- "But it's still a story without an ending. What
about now?" --Rick.
- "I wish I didn't love you so much." --Ilsa.
- "Louis, I think this is the beginning
of a beautiful friendship." --Rick.
Go to the next
Page 1 | Page
2 | Page 3 | Page
4 | Page 5